Why You Must Be “More Than a Coach”: Interview of Jory Fisher by Christina Woollen of the Christian Coaches Network International
As a new CCNI board member, I had the pleasure to personally interview Jory H. Fisher, JD, PCC, CMCC; Founder and President of Jory Fisher & Associates, Inc., based in Bel Air, Maryland. Jory specializes in helping purpose-guided leaders and entrepreneurs glorify God through success. This delightful, upbeat long-time CCNI member and mastermind presenter offers various tips on how to succeed as a coach in today’s marketplace.
CCNI: What does it take to be a successful professional Christian life coach in today’s competitive world?
Jory: Coaches can’t operate in “stealth mode,” sitting at their desk with a website and phone waiting for prospective clients to make an appointment. To succeed as a coach, you must be clear about who you are and what you do—and get out there and market your services!
To be successful in business, you have to focus on marketing and sales. I recommend spending approximately 20% of your workweek delivering coaching services. The other 80% or so should be spent creating content, marketing, and selling—yes, selling. I see way too many coaches who are so excited when they first earn their coaching certificates, only to get depressed and close down shop within the first year. Why? Because, although they are seriously good at their craft, they lack sufficient business-building skills to make a profit.
CCNI: Wow! The 80/20 Rule of Marketing will really shock some readers out there. Where should a coach begin with this rule?
Jory: First, get crystal clear on your coaching niche, and get comfortable knowing you are MORE than a coach…you are an entrepreneur. Becoming an entrepreneur means you will need to learn all facets of running a successful business, with marketing and sales as your top priority. The best rule of thumb I’ve learned from success gurus like Darren Hardy, Brian Tracy and Jim Rohn is to invest 10% of your total desired income each year on personal and professional development.
CCNI: What are some strategies coaches can use to market their services?
Jory: In-person marketing is the most effective strategy; followed by webinars and phone calls. Emails, blogs, and website opt-ins are way down the list. Do what comes naturally. (For me, this means networking and speaking.) Start out with three strategies that energize you. (For me, that’s leading Meetup events, speaking, and having in-person meetings with strategic partners or potential clients.) It’s all about building trust and forming relationships. According to The Chally Group, only 18% of people will buy services from someone who doesn’t match their own personality type. You won’t find out who your ideal clients are if you are not relating and connecting to them authentically.
CCNI: Where can CCNI members find out more about you and what you do?
Jory: You can visit my website at www.joryfisher.com.
If you live in the Baltimore/DC area, I hope you will consider joining my meetup groups and attending our events:
I speak fairly often in the Baltimore/DC area, mostly on calling and client attraction. As a trainer for a company called BANKCode™, I speak on how to integrate personality type into the sales conversation.
Please email me at Jory@JoryFisher.com if you have questions. If you would like to register for my event—Sales and Beyond 2017—in Potomac, MD on November 30, 2017, visit SalesAndBeyond2017.com/Jory. Business owners HAVE to learn how to sell!!! (To determine your key values and get a sneak peek at what you’ll learn on November 30th, take this 90-second assessment.)
CCNI: Jory, what a pleasure to have you as a dedicated CCNI member who enjoys actively participating. As we are beginning our CCNI membership drive, I am thrilled to showcase you in this newsletter. You are such an inspiration to many of us and I love your enthusiasm for sharing what you have learned throughout the years, along with sharing today’s current trends. Thank you for your time and passion for CCNI and Christian coaching.
Author: Christina Whitten Woollen, CPLC, CCNI Marketing Director
For Christina’s interview of Jory Fisher on Facebook Live, please click here.